Sunday, January 8, 2012

Is Mercedes-Benz E350 4MATIC Wagon any good?

I was thinking of getting this car for my wife because it has features similar to my S400 Hybrid, for example Driver Assistance Package and I think it would be cool for my wife to have that feature. I use it and I love it, she loves it too when she drives my car. I want to get the wagon because I was thinking it would be better when we go to picnics,to the beach and camping. So I have few questions:





1) Can this car handle camping?


2) Can this car tow at all?


3) With proper maintenance( I have been a Mercedes-Benz owner for many years, so I know the maintenance of it. ) how long could the engine last? My wife will do 10,000 miles a year max.


4) How stylish is this car? Is it stylish? Or does it just say I'm a mom?





I was going to get her a SUV but it doesn't have the Driver Assistance Package, which she really likes. We have 3 year old twin daughters. I like the safety features too, I think it's a safe car. Here is the exact car I want to buy her: http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/b鈥?/a>





What do you guys think?|||1) Sure, it can handle camping. The wagon, being a wagon, has lots of cargo space to easily swallow all your camping gear.


2) None of the passenger cars in North America (your question says you are in the US) are recommended for towing and Benz does not offer trailer hitches for any of the passenger cars. That's not to say that it can't be done. Benz does offer trailer packages for their cars in Europe and you can certainly try the aftermarket to buy a hitch. The problem with going aftermarket though will be hooking the trailer lights up to the car. The electrical routing on modern Benz vehicles go through a SAM (signal acquisition module). The rear SAM (which controls the rear lights, among many other things) will not be equipped to operate trailer lamps so you would have to modify the electrical harness somehow. That could get very ugly very quickly


3) The M272 V6 engine is a proven engine, It is also the same engine found in your S400 hybrid, minus the hybrid gear of course. They are not perfect (no internal combustion engine really is) but for the most part, they get the job done quietly and efficiently. You mentioned the low annual mileage...when your wife does drive, does she drive very short distances? If so, that can be a problem as engines don't generally like that. They are most efficient when they reach full operating temperature and running under a partial load (meaning the car is being driven, not sitting and idling). Starting an engine and only running it for a few minutes on a routine basis is very hard on an engine and can cause problems down the road.


4) Styling is subjective. Wagons usually have the family-stigma attached to them, much like the minivan. But, having said that, station wagons do offer an efficient use of space (much better than a sedan) and that extra cargo area can be very handy to have when shopping for a family for example.|||The new Mercedes Benz cars are becoming what they used to be. Quality durable vehicles. It can handle camping, just get a Thule roof carrier and smartly pack the rear area. Mercedes wagons are functional and comfortable. It could tow but I wouldn't recommend much, unless it's a pop up or small trailer for bikes etc. It would look more normal towing then a sedan as well. I know the cars can but do you want to tow with your Mercedes is the question? With that kind of investment It's up to you. Mantinence wise no one knows since they are new but the 2002 to 2007 mercs were awful. Now they are great again. They should last, like any car, a long time with care. And finally style. On the wagon front, I prefer the old W210 wagons because the sharper styling on the newerwagon isn't me. HOWEVER, I do appreciate the cars. Think of this. You and your family sound like your doing great financially. You could, like everyone else buy a huge GM SUV, like all the other parents. But no matter what Mercedes old or new, rusted or shiny, makes a statement. Imagine if you pull up to a school function, you don't want what everyone else has. Any Mercedes would stand out

No comments:

Post a Comment