Thursday, January 12, 2012

How can I go 50mph on a Go-kart?

How can I go 50mph on a go-kart?



Go-kart Specs:



6.5hp engine

3600 rpm

16in tire diameter

3/4 shaft



I don't have the engine yet. its on the way. I need a 6.5 hp engine to go at least 50mph with the engine specs of 6.5 hp, 3600rpm, and the tire is 16 in in diameter. Is there a way I can get it this fast? The rear axle is 3/4 in diameter and the same with the shaft. I can find the right combination of clutch, sprocket and chain to go that fast. Ive used a sprocket calculator, but I cant find the right sized sprocket any where! The main combo I was looking for was a 12 tooth clutch and 12 tooth rear axle sprocket. I can find the sprockets but with 2 different chain pitch size of #35 and #40! I need help!!!! If I cant use the chain driven way then I need some specs on how to use a belt on it.How can I go 50mph on a Go-kart?
Power = speed.

Torque = acceleration

Cold air = powerful combustion

so i would say adding torque converters, modifying your intake system by

adding a cold air intake system and maybe increasing the revs should help.



Good luck with your go kart mate!!!How can I go 50mph on a Go-kart?
Saw a go-cart with a Harley engine on it. It was clocked at 120 mph on the runway of the Fargo, ND airport. Most of the time it was air born though.

I have also seen go carts with McCulloch chainsaw engines on them.

2 engines for racing, one on each rear wheel. Otherwise just one engine. The wind-up up to 8000 rpms.How can I go 50mph on a Go-kart?
50 miles per hour = 73.3 ft/sec.



16" wheel = 1.333 ft diameter * pi ~ 4.2 ft per revolution



73.3 / 4.2 = 17.452381 revs per sec desired at wheel to achieve target 73.3 ft/sec = 50 mph.



17.5*60 = 1050 RPMs needed at axle.



From 3600 RPM at engine, you need about 3.42:1 reduction.



12 tooth on engine and 41 tooth on axle would be just about right.



Other than that if you gear for maximum speed this will give you the most sluggish acceleration, you may find some practical tradeoffs to consider here. If the specific speed of 50mph is important you may also need to consider aerodynamic fairing. My wild guess with no supporting math is that 6.5 hp will have difficultly pulling much over 40mph unless you work on aerodynamics.
Texas gave you all the math, and correctly stated you'll have to do a lot of work on aerodynamics to get to 50mph.



With no aerodynamic work, you'll need about 15 hp to hit 50mph. Standard go-karts are very "dirty" aerodynamically.



Look at pictures of speed record bicycles and 50cc motorcycles for ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment