Thursday, January 19, 2012

Am I better off getting a 199515' Boston Whaler Rage 115 hp Jet boat or 1995 Seadoo 170hp Jet Boat-same prices

I am shopping for a boat that would be used in the ocean and in a half fresh half salt water river. I would like a jet boat, as the river can be low at many places. If I can get them for the same price, do you think I am better off buying a 1995 Boston Whaler Rage Jetboat (newer 115 omc engine installed, runs well) or a 1995 Seadoo Speedster Jet boat (dual 135 engines, runs well)? In the Whaler, the owner (who is a mechanic) said the engine overheated, and he replaced the head gaskets and it ran pretty well. He then put in a newer engine that was in better shape, and it runs very well. Does the turbo jet have a bad rep? I see people converting it to outboard and it makes me wonder. And for the Seadoo--- bad saltwater boat? Anyone know about the rep's of these engines? thanks!!Am I better off getting a 199515' Boston Whaler Rage 115 hp Jet boat or 1995 Seadoo 170hp Jet Boat-same prices
I would go Whaler all the way - first off, I know jet boats sound cool - but they are really kind of crappy for any rough water conditions - with conventional drives (inboards, outboards, I/O's the prop actually keeps the boat in the water, whereas with a jet boat like the sea doo you'll be coming out of the water on just about every wave and loosing power for a second, I have actually never met someone who was really happy with their jet boat after some time on it.



That being said - I have owned 2 sea doo and have worked on countless others, and I think they are some of the best performing jet boats, and ski's but they are the worst built, just very cheap and they break A LOT. I have never used on the the omc jet drives but I have also never heard anything bad about them - and as you mentioned, if in the end you see that jet boats are not what they are cracked up to be you can change out the lower drive unit and turn in into an out board - and to me that is a sweet boat.



Those OMC's tend to run forever (and a 1995 is pre sea doo (bombardier) buying OMC) so it is a great motor, you'll have no problem finding people to fix it or to find parts (might have problems with parts for the jet drive though)



No real boater would tell you that a Sea Doo is a better boat then the Whaler - I think this is a no brainer - get the Whaler.



Also - Whaler's hold their value MUCH better then sea doo's - as I said people buy sea doo boats, keep them for a year and move on to real boats, whereas people keep Whalers foreverAm I better off getting a 199515' Boston Whaler Rage 115 hp Jet boat or 1995 Seadoo 170hp Jet Boat-same prices
if you really want a jet boat have you considered the non seadoo type? i have a 19' eliminator with a chevy 454 in it. if you are looking for a good looking, fast, eye catching boat start looking for one of these!Am I better off getting a 199515' Boston Whaler Rage 115 hp Jet boat or 1995 Seadoo 170hp Jet Boat-same prices
If the "Whaler" swamps, YOU KNOW IT WON'T SINK !



I would'nt count on the Sea Doo for that !

No comments:

Post a Comment