Thursday, January 12, 2012

Price Quote:Schwinn World Sport 87'?

I'm looking for a fair price to sell a Schwinn World sport--after recently using a bike-fit calculator I realized it wasn't the optimal size for me. I think it sold a little below $200 back in 87'



Schwinn World Sport 12 Speed

Frame type: CRO-moly 4130, black frame, few scratches

Frame Size CC(center to center): 63 CM

Crank arms: 165 MM Sugino

Stem: 11.43 CM

Handle Bar Width: 40.64 CM(Original handlebars)

Components: Suntour front/rear derailleur/cogs, Thumb gear switches, and DiaComp brakes(Plus emergency levers)

Wheelset: 27'' Sunshine 5345 Hubs

Bottle Cage: Specialized Rib Cage Pro MTB

Seat: Velo SX

Seat tube: Laprade SR



I replaced the handlebar tape a few months ago, and the rear tire. The front wheel has some wear, and probably 150 miles left on it. Both wheels are true and rims are in good condition. Brake housing/cables are in good condition. The cogs and chain rings both show little wear, the chains a little grungy, but still within the stretch limits. It could be upgraded for improved speed.



So, what do y'all think? Thanks for reading all that!Price Quote:Schwinn World Sport 87'?
I can't imagine anyone paying $100 for this.



I love old lugged steel frames, I even have a couple Super Sports of that vintage, but still, unless you find someone in love with THAT bike.....



Of course they're paying ridiculous sums for 40 year old Mustangs, so what do I know?



Side note: 63cm! Holy Cow! Who rode this thing? Maybe if you got it signed by its NBA star former owner......


My Grandfather always told me "something is only worth what people are willing to pay for it." In other words, what the market will bear.



I suggest looking on craigslist and ebay to see if any similar bikes have sold recently and see how much they sold for. Chances are, there's someone out there willing to pay a few hundred bucks for a "vintage" bike but it might take a while to find that person.



If you're looking to sell it quickly, it's probably still only worth a couple hundred bucks.Price Quote:Schwinn World Sport 87'?
$200 at most



you said "after recently using a bike-fit calculator I realized it wasn't the optimal size for me."



what does that mean?



didn;t it *feel* wrong before you checked the calculator?



if it feels fine why not just keep it?



wle.


I sold my 1984 World Sport at a garage sale for $20. That was an entry level model and none of the components are worth anything. I'd just donate it to Goodwill and take a tax write-off. Price Quote:Schwinn World Sport 87'?
20-30 year old Schwinn road bikes are plentiful. And are not considered collectible (even though many owner feel otherwise). EBay has a steady stream of these for sale. It's value is about a $100 maybe a little more.



EDIT: Check EBay $100 is about right. 63cm frame is big yes. But if you think back to the 70s and 80s lots of people bought these huge Schwinns so they didn't have to bend over as far, with a very short top tube it was doable. I couldn't count how many 10 speeds back then were ridden with they're saddles jambed down far as they could go.
  • yamaha outboards
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment